Sunburst In The Dining Room


I've been looking for a round mirror for the stenciled wall in the dining room but have had no such luck.  We tried a larger piece of art on that wall but the colors and patterns didn't mesh well with the stencil already there.  I needed something dark and pretty solid to stand out against the stencil.  I decided a sunburst mirror would fit this space nicely. 

I made one for my daughter's room with skewers but knew that one would be too small for this spot.  I wanted it to be thick and dark.  After seeing several versions, I decided to use paint sticks.  They are free and thick enough to make an impact on the wall.  I had some in the garage at home but knew I needed way more.  I grabbed an arm-full from Home Depot one day while I was out.  I also bought a 12 inch round beveled mirror from Hobby Lobby.  It was half off candles sale so it came to $4.00.  I had the rest of the supplies at home.

Supplies used:
paint stir sticks
round mirror
stain
gorilla glue
wall hanger

Let's get started.  I stained the front and sides of each stick.


After they were dry, I laid my sticks out to see what pattern I wanted and to get the spacing right.  You can see where I drew some guide lines to help but ended up not using the lines.  I just tried to get the space between them as even as possible.  Once this was done, I started gluing each one on the back of the mirror.  Remember to use tiny dots with gorilla glue.  It expands as it dries.  I marked a line on each stick to make sure they were the same distance from the edge of the mirror.  This row would be in the front so I had to cut the rounded, handle side off.  I just scored with wire cutters and snapped off the end. 


I staggered the back row and glued them on the backs of the front row.  You couldn't see the round edges here so I left them full length. 


After all the sticks were in place, I glued a picture hanger to the back and left overnight to dry.  I sat a box and trash can on top to make sure it bonded tight.

I love how the dark wood contrasts against the stencil.  You can see the wood grain through the stain.






The mirror fills this space nicely.  This project only cost me $4.00, the price of the mirror.  I had the other supplies on hand.

Sunburst mirrors are a huge trend and I love the look of them.  Even if they do go away, I think this one may stay on my wall for a while.  Do you like sunburst mirrors or are they too trendy for you?

 

Sharing with
The Shabby Nest * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * A Glimpse Inside * Delightful Order * 504 Main * At The Picket Fence * The Answer is Chocolate * Finding Fabulous * Happy Hour Projects * Simple Home Life * Simply Sweet Home * Five Days Five Ways * DIY Showoff * It's So Very Cheri * It's Overflowing * I Heart Naptime * Positively Splendid * Tatertots and Jello * Under the Table and Dreaming * Flamingo Toes * Homemaker on a Dime * Ask Anna * Marvelously Messy * Cherished Treasures * Between Naps on the Porch * CRAFT * Craftomaniac * Keeping It Simple * Lines Across * Making the World Cuter * Sew Can Do * Sew Chatty * Skip to My Lou * The Gunny Sack * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * Home Stories A to Z * Project Queen * Today's Creative Blog * Brassy Apple * Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * A Bowl Full of Lemons * The Winthrop Chronicles * Not Just a Housewife * Homework * Ladybug Blessings * New Nostalgia * Reasons to Skip the Housework * Tip Junkie * Chef in Training * Savvy Southern Style * DIY by Design * Domestically Speaking * Ginger Snap Crafts * Southern Lovely * A Little Tipsy * Junk in Their Trunk * Lil Luna * Organize and Decorate Everything * Primp * Someday Crafts * Uncommon * House of Hepworths * Bear Rabbit Bear * A Glimpse Inside * Fireflies and Jellybeans * No Minimalist Here * Somewhat Simple * The 36th Avenue * Remodelaholic * Just Us Four * Tough Cookie Mommy * Homemaker in Heels * How to Nest for Less * Thrifty Decor Chick * Remodelaholic * The DIY Village *

DIY Club

No comments:

Post a Comment