Coffee Shop Atmosphere: Inspiration Station

Recently in my retail design class, we learned that people tend to be more inspired, creative, and get more work done in a coffee shop environment than in a quiet office.
Research suggests that it is the chatter and noises of the coffee shop that actually allow us to focus and think outside the box. In fact, one company, Coffitivity, allows you to stream the noises of a coffee shop into your home or office to help you get down to business (I think I'm going to try this!).

Lately, I've been having a bad case of writer's block. I decided to come to a coffee shop to test out this info and write a blog post, and voila, here I am typing away, inspired by the very thing itself!
But it has me wondering...is it really just the sounds, or is it the space itself?
I absolutely love coffee shop decor. It tends to be homey, inviting, industrial, warm, and has that subtle hipster vibe that allows you to unleash your inner creative soul.  Here is a look at some inspiring spaces:
via
via
via
I personally think that it is the entire atmosphere, overall, that inspires coffee shop goers. Therefore, the sounds themselves might not be enough when we are in our own private space. Why not carve out a little coffee shop nook in our own homes? I've put together a mood board below to help you capture the vibe without breaking the bank!

-The key to capturing that coffee shop essence is in a chalkboard with creative typeface. If you're good at this sort of thing, buy a chalkboard and get going! If not, you can cheat with this etsy poster by Lily & Val.
-Repurpose the ever popular barcart with coffee grinds, pretty teacups, fresh flowers and an espresso machine or coffee maker.
-Create bistro style seating with iconic wishbone chairs (or reproductions) and my fave, the DOCKSTA table from IKEA.
-An industrial style pendant lamps are often used in coffee shops. This one from IKEA is affordable and looks good.
-Couldn't leave out the SS Print Shops adorable new print "Stop and Smell the Peonies". An inspiring message for an inspiring little nook!

Do you find you get more work done in coffee shops?
xo
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment