Bye Bye Brass


Our home is only 4 years old so it stumps me that the builder used brass light fixtures on the outside.  The doorknobs and light fixtures in the house are either nickel, chrome, or white.  Since we moved in, I have hated the brass lights outside.  I think it ages the home a bit, despite the modern exterior.



Notice the metal pieces on the garage door are black.  Total clash with the brass right?  We had originally bought new black lanterns a few months back but returned them because I was determined we would save some money and paint the existing ones.  This project has been on my list for a while but I finally decided to tackle it. 

I unscrewed all the pieces from the lantern but left the wired base attached.  I wasn't in the mood to mess with electricity.  I wanted this to be a simple fix.  I made a template from poster board to keep from spray painting the brick.


The other pieces were laid out to have their turn at the spray paint.


I love how this turned out.  It now matches the garage door pieces.



I was thrilled at the new look and I still had spray paint left, so I kept going.  The front porch light is white and was a little grimy.   There were all kinds of little buggies in there.  They must be gone.




After taking it down and pulling it apart, it got a coat of black spray paint. 



So much better.  I should have done this earlier.

I'm also thinking the front door should get a new coat of paint.  Hmmmmm. 

Linking up at
Remodelaholic * Just a Girl * The Shabby Nest  * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Sassy Sites * Simple Home Life * The Shabby Creek Cottage * My Repurposed Life * Finding Fabulous * French Country Cottage * Tatortots and Jello * Under the Table and Dreaming * The DIY Showoff * Dittle Dattle * The Gunny Sack * Making the World Cuter * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy * Homemaker on a Dime * Today's Creative Blog * DIY by Design  * Savvy Southern Style * Southern Lovely * All Thingz Related * Thrifty Decor Chick * The Artsy Girl Connection * 2805 * Running with Glitter * Keeping It Simple * Between Naps on the Porch * Skip to My Lou * Be Colorful * Ninth Street Notions * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * Marvelously Messy * C.R.A.F.T. * The DIY Home Sweet Home Project * Dittle Dattle * Home Savvy A to Z * Debbiedoo's * Creation Corner * Home Stories A to Z *

No comments:

Post a Comment